Question 1 What is the name of the castle where the first few sections of the poem take place?
Question 2 Who is the king at the beginning of the poem?
Question 3 Grendel is a descendant of what Biblical figure?
Question 4 Where do the people make offerings to try to get aid from Grendel’s attacks?
- Muslim mosques
- Pagan shrines
- Catholic cathedrals
- Jewish temples
Question 5 Beowulf arrives to help the Danes
- On foot
- On horseback
- On the back of a dragon
- By ship
Question 6 Which character is jealous of Beowulf?
Question 7 During the feast, Beowulf describes what kind of contest in which he competed against Breca?
Question 8 How long is Beowulf king of Geatland before the dragon wake?
- 50 years
- 10 years
- 25 years
- 5 years
Question 9 What wakes the dragon?
- Grendel’s mother wakes the dragon to help her fight Beowulf.
- An intruder handles and removes a gem-studded goblet from the dragon’s lair.
- Beowulf confronts the sleeping dragon in his lair.
- The dragon’s eggs begin to hatch.
Question 10 Where does the dragon’s treasure come from?
- It is the cache of a highborn race of people who have all died.
- It is Beowulf’s inheritance from King Hygelac.
- It belonged to the dragon’s father.
- It belongs to Hrothgar and the Danes.
Question 11 What is the dragon’s primary weapon when he attacks the homesteads?
- His sharp talons
- The fire that he breathes
- A sword that belonged to the ancient gods
- Unferth’s sword Hrunting
Question 12 What does the dragon destroy that upsets Beowulf?
- Beowulf’s home
- Beowulf’s armor
- The castle Heorot
- The tree of life
Question 13 Who volunteers to fight the dragon?
Question 14 What weapon finally kills the dragon?
- A dagger
- A cannon
- Bare hands
- A torch
Question 15 What regret does Beowulf express as he is dying?
- He was unable to kill the dragon.
- He never married.
- He is leaving the Geats penniless.
- He never had a son.