1. What are the objectives of the research project?
The object of the research project is to study the implications on the implementation of the various requirements of Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) by the developing countries who are members of the World Trade
2. Does the research involve NHS patients, resources or staff? If so, it is likely that full ethical review must be obtained from the NHS process before the research can start.
3. Do you intend to collect primary data from human subjects or data that are identifiable with individuals? (This includes, for example, questionnaires and interviews.)
If you do not intend to collect such primary data then please go to question 14. If you do intend to collect such primary data then please respond to ALL the questions 4 through 13. If you feel a question does not apply then please respond with n/a (for not applicable).
4. What is the purpose of the primary data in the dissertation / research project?
5. What is/are the survey population(s)?
6. How big is the sample for each of the survey populations and how was this sample arrived at?
7. How will respondents be selected and recruited?
8. What steps are proposed to ensure that the requirements of informed consent will be met for those taking part in the research? If an Information Sheet for participants is to be used, please attach it to this form. If not, please explain how you will be able to demonstrate that informed consent has been gained from participants.
9. How will data be collected from each of the sample groups?
10. How will data be stored and what will happen to the data at the end of the research?
11. How will confidentiality be assured for respondents?
12. What steps are proposed to safeguard the anonymity of the respondents?
13. Are there any risks (physical or other, including reputational) to respondents that may result from taking part in this research? If so, please specify and state what measures are proposed to deal with these risks.
14. Will any data be obtained from a company or other organisation. YES / NO (please circle) For example, information provided by an employer or its employees.
What steps are proposed to ensure that the requirements of informed consent will be met for that organisation? How will confidentiality be assured for the organisation?
No data will be obtained from a company or other organization.
15. Are there any risks (physical or other, including reputational) to the researcher or to the University that may result from conducting this research? If so, please specify and state what measures are proposed to manage these risks.
No risks (physical or other, including reputational) to the researcher or to the University will result from conducting this research.
16. Will the proposed research involve any of the following (please put a √ next to ‘yes’ or ‘no’; consult your supervisor if you are unsure):
• Vulnerable groups (e.g. children)? NO
• Particularly sensitive topics? NO
• Access to respondents via ‘gatekeepers’? NO
• Use of deception? NO
• Access to confidential personal data? NO
• Psychological stress, anxiety etc? NO
• Intrusive interventions? NO
17. Are there any other ethical issues that may arise from the proposed research?